Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, The last of life, for which the first was made: Our times are in His hand Who saith "A whole I planned, Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!" - From "Rabbi Ben Ezra" by Robert Browning

Monday, February 27, 2012

Celebrating Our Anniversary Our Way


I follow a lot of bloggers. Most of them write about food. Nearly all of them post something related to every calendar event of the year... New Year's party food, Chinese New Year food, romantic Valentine's Day meals for two, Super Bowl snacks, Oscar Party food.... And that's just the first two months of the year! But you get the idea.

I don't find myself inclined to do that. I did post my sister's Chinese Hot and Sour soup recipe for Chinese New Year, but I skipped all those other "significant" days, including my mother's birthday (February 5), and more recently, my own anniversary (February 26).

Just yesterday John and I celebrated six years together. Well, six years officially. Eight, actually. We didn't make a big deal of it. John bought me flowers and a small gift that he gave me a couple of days before. I bought him a new phone two weeks ago. My sister was here visiting my dad yesterday, so we ate in and really didn't acknowledge the day in anything more than a few kisses out of sight of our guests.

Did our lack of attention to the significance of the day diminish its importance? Of course not! Did not doing something "special" together mean we don't love each other as much as we should? Absolutely not!

Maybe it's because we're older. Maybe it's because we're just busy! Maybe it's because we don't need an "event" to remind us that we are We, and that We have made a commitment to each other that has carried us through another year together.

Frankly, I am content letting the day be just another day. I don't need dinner and a movie out. I mean, that's nice, when I can get it, but I like the idea of another regular day together marking a year full of regular days together; the pattern and routine of our lives playing out in the rhythm we have established together; a dance that is sometimes a slow sexy, sometimes a passionate tango, and sometimes a dance floor free-for-all!

In our marriage, every day is interesting, every day holds many moments of celebration... when we look into each others eyes and see the twinkle of desire, when we pause from our respective chores for a passionate embrace, when we laugh together, or when we reach to hold hands one last time before we fall asleep side by side in the dark.

Marriage is to be celebrated every day, not just once a year.

Now my birthday? That's a different story entirely!

No comments:

Post a Comment