Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, The last of life, for which the first was made: Our times are in His hand Who saith "A whole I planned, Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!" - From "Rabbi Ben Ezra" by Robert Browning

Friday, February 17, 2012

When Time Has Wings


Do you ever hit a point where you stop and realize ... it isn't Monday, it's Friday ... It isn't January, it's almost March ... you aren't 35, you're 55!

Yeah, well, I have those moments often, and I had a big one today when I realized how long it has been since I last posted to my blog. I've been trying to post something every day, hopefully something interesting, but something. So I was surprised to see that it has been 7 days since I posted. All I can think is, Time has wings!

From Thanksgiving through New Year's, most of us don't notice how fast time is flying. Our time is full of activities that preoccupy us from the concept of time.

So once the holidays are over, you'd think Time would slow down a bit, take it easy, catch it's breath. But for some reason it doesn't, not for adults anyway. I know children see time as being very slow. I remember that from my childhood, waiting for the summer break from school, waiting for Christmas, waiting for graduation! I remember it felt like Time was taking forever to get me to those special times I was anxiously waiting for.

Wouldn't it be interesting to think that, as adults, we cross over, unknowingly, into a different perception of time, one that speeds up, but runs parallel to the slower perception of time that children live in? Doesn't it seem like that really is what we're doing anyway? We live side by side with small beings who think Time is dragging it's legs, while we think Time is trying to get away from us.

If this is true, then we have to consider the idea that Time doesn't like old people! I know what you're thinking, but think about it. The older we get, the easier it is for Time to get away from us. And it does get away from us!

As we get older, Time plays tricks on us. Sometimes, mean tricks! Old memories mix with newer ones, we write the wrong date on a check, we miss an appointment because we got our days mixed up.

So it would seem logical to think that Time eludes us as we grow older!

But maybe this whole theory is wrong!

Maybe Time isn't getting faster. Maybe we're just getting slower!

No comments:

Post a Comment