Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, The last of life, for which the first was made: Our times are in His hand Who saith "A whole I planned, Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!" - From "Rabbi Ben Ezra" by Robert Browning

Friday, February 10, 2012

Dinnertime: Pork Neck Bones & Rice

A poor man's meal, Pork Neck Bones & Rice, is a regular treat in our house. The bones were previously slow smoked and then frozen just for a day like today. I dumped the bones into a pot full of water and let them simmer for 4 hours, until the meat was falling off the bones. I removed them from the pot, and while Jasmine rice was cooking in a portion of the meaty broth, I separated the pork meat from the bones ~ large chunks of meat, and small slivers of meat, tender, juicy, and releasing a tantalizing, smokey aroma! If I had a nice, fresh ripe tomato, I'd have chopped it and added it to the top of this dish. Fresh tomato adds a delicious dimension of flavor, along with a light sprinkling of sea salt. Also, if I had it, I'd add a bit of chopped cilantro for color and flavor. Serving this dish with a ladle full or two of the broth is a tasty option, and a green salad on the side rounds out the meal.

Pork neck bones are inexpensive, and far more meaty than people realize. How you treat the meat is what kicks it out of the poor man's category and into a tasty, upscale dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment