Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, The last of life, for which the first was made: Our times are in His hand Who saith "A whole I planned, Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!" - From "Rabbi Ben Ezra" by Robert Browning

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Faith, Friends, and BBQ!

My friend, Kathy, is visiting from Chicago this week. She left behind 30 * temps and snow for overcast skies and drizzly rain in the 70s here in NE Georgia. Not the 80* and sun she was hoping for, but acceptable.

I am so happy Kathy is here! We've known each other for several years, but have never had a chance to spend time together until now. I am so blessed to have her in my home for this week. She is an extraordinary woman of God. Her testimony is so rich with praises and thanksgiving to God you almost don't hear the story of her life's struggles and hardships.

Kathy lives in the full awareness that "In everything is God." No matter what happens, she sees it as part of God's plan for her life, and she looks eagerly for the good that God is making out of it, even if it is something devastating or heart breaking. She knows God is building a plan of love for her life that will never let her be defeated!

I long to live in faith this rich. I long to see my God in every little thing that goes on in my daily life, and in all the big things, the unexpected as well as those things I see coming, good and bad.

This morning, at breakfast, we were discussing briefly the world situation, and the economy. Kathy said something almost off-hand, but it was really quite profound. She said, "But we do not live in the world's economy. We live in God's economy."

Folks, if we live by faith, and not by sight, then that means that by faith we are dependent on God for all our needs and all our desires. Christ and the apostles made that clear in the New Testament. We should not be fretting over the state of our nation, the economy, or even the cost of gas. Let those who are in this world fret and worry, but let us stand in faith, knowing that our God, who loves us, is (actively, continually) providing for us, knowing, before we even ask, what we need. Can we live like that? Can we believe in God as wholly as He believes in us?

Thank you Kathy for stirring my faith, for reminding me what my relationship with God should be like, and for encouraging me, without even knowing you have, to give God more of me, because He gives me all of Himself every day.

Out of the crockpot and into the oven to dry out a bit




Pulled Pork Barbecue and Fixin's

Tonight we're having homemade barbecue with cole slaw, potato salad, macaroni salad, and curly fries. I like making my own barbecue. It's not as difficult as you'd think.

Throw a big pork butt into the crock pot and season with salt and pepper. Let it cook overnight on low.

Next day, pull it out, draining off the grease, and put it in a deep baking pan. Pull it apart with forks, which should be easy to do! Season the meat with your favorite rub or seasoning mix. This time I used Weber's Smokey Mesquite Seasoning Mix. It's usually for beef, but I thought I'd try it on the pork this time.

Set your oven temperature to 250* and let your pork cook from 1 to 3 hours, depending on how much you have in proportion to how large the pan is. A smaller pan with more in it will require longer cooking, and a stirring about once an hour. I used a larger pan with less in it, and mine cooked today for 1.5 hours.

At this point I add the barbecue to a frying pan and stir it about to crisp it up a bit (we like ours crispy). Once it gets crispy I add some liquid barbecue sauce and cook until the sauce is heated through. How much you add will depend on your own taste of course. I used Williamson Bros. Bar-B-Q Sauce to save time today, but usually I like to make my own sauce.

You can skip the frying pan step and mix your sauce into the pork while it's in the oven, probably for the last 15-30 minutes would do.

Serve as you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment