Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, The last of life, for which the first was made: Our times are in His hand Who saith "A whole I planned, Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!" - From "Rabbi Ben Ezra" by Robert Browning

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Warm Weather, Sunshine, and the Promise of Spring


It's 73 degrees here today. The sun is shining, and everything is starting to turn a really nice green! Out in the garden, the collards are getting taller, the cabbage are starting to head, and the broccoli have been harvested twice with delicious results!

I should have started seeds already, but I chose instead to focus my time on preparing for my friend, Kathy's, visit. She'll be going back to Chicago on Saturday, and we'll miss her terribly, but it has been a great week! Lots of good food, lots of good rest for Kathy, and a bit of warm southern color in those pale cheeks of hers!

Cabbage forming heads
I spotted a variety of lettuce plants at the local hardware store this week. I'll pick some up tomorrow and plant them next week. I'll also start some lettuce from seed, and plant radishes and peas. I need to make a trip to the Home Depot nursery and see if they've got anything interesting. I'd love to plant more kohlrabi and rutabagas this year. And I was so pleased with the onion harvest last year, I've got to plant a lot more this year!

I'll also start seeds soon for my summer crops: tomatoes, peppers,cucumbers, squash, and melons. I haven't had a lot of success starting seeds in the past. Cucumbers did great, but I couldn't get the tomatoes or peppers to take. Hope I'll have better luck this year. I'd much rather be starting my own seeds than buying transplants, primarily because it is less expensive, but also because I won't be depending on suppliers, and the opportunity for variety will be greater!

While I was out I snapped a picture of the forsythia, now really starting to fill in the empty branches.
I also got a picture of Lulu, our pot bellied pig, dozing under the ramp at the back door. It's her favorite spot!

And that's Chu Chu, my father's little Scottish Terrier, greeting me as I returned from the garden.

It isn't official yet, but the weather is so beautiful today, and everything is starting to grow... I can't resist saying, "Happy Spring everyone!"

No comments:

Post a Comment