Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, The last of life, for which the first was made: Our times are in His hand Who saith "A whole I planned, Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!" - From "Rabbi Ben Ezra" by Robert Browning

Thursday, March 1, 2012

It's 79 Degrees and Time to Plant! Yeah, Baby!


The collards, cabbage, and broccoli are coming along just fine. I've already been harvesting broccoli, and it won't be much longer before I harvest all of the collards and cabbage and process them. We've got to get the garden bed cleared and ready for the summer crops. Manure, and mulch need to be added in, and weeds need to be dealt with.

In the meantime, I've been anxious to get my hands in the dirt again! I should have been starting seeds last week, but of course Kathy was here visiting, and that time was all hers! Today I stopped by the Wal-Mart plant center and bought a load of transplants! Lots of romaine lettuce, leeks, onions, beans, and herbs. When I got them home, John didn't waste any time getting them out of the car and into the sunshine (it's 79* here today). He watered them, and by tomorrow afternoon I should be getting them into pots on my front deck.

I prefer to plant my lettuce in pots rather than in-ground. They seem to do better. There is less risk from bugs and disease. The onions will go in-ground though.

The onions are going to be the hard part! I can still remember planting onions last spring. I was in agony on my hands and knees, planting more than 300 onion sets. My knees are no good. Both got messed up in car accidents (that weren't my fault) when I was in my 20s. Then, a few years ago, I developed bursitis in my left knee. Bending, squatting, and kneeling are very difficult for me, and sometimes very painful. This problem is my biggest obstacle to gardening. But the garden won't grow unless we plant it, and when I think of the incredible harvest we will have, the pain is really a small price to pay! It ill probably take me more than one day to plant the onions, but I will plant them!

But the lettuce are first! I'm seeing the dentist in the morning, and when I get home I'm going to pull out my containers, clean them up, and get elbow deep in dirt! While I'm potting up the lettuce, beans, and herbs, I think I'll start a big dish of French Breakfast Radishes and some snow peas.

Wow! I'm really starting to get excited! I've got to pull out all the seeds I've got and go through them. I'm a little behind in that, but I'll catch up quickly. Next up, I'll be starting seeds for the tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, squash, and melons.

What will you be planting this year?


No comments:

Post a Comment