Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, The last of life, for which the first was made: Our times are in His hand Who saith "A whole I planned, Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!" - From "Rabbi Ben Ezra" by Robert Browning

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Show Us Your Pearly Whites!

It has been a long time since John and I had any dental work done. With limited funds being stretched in a variety of important directions since we married, our dental needs have repeatedly fallen to the bottom of the list.

A few weeks ago we found a good dentist and arranged to have an initial visit for X-rays, exams, and a cleaning. Although John had his cleaning, I did not. They told me I would need a deeper cleaning, that I had a tiny cavity to be filled, and that my wisdom teeth should be pulled. John was going to need a lot of work. We knew that though. He'd had problems with his teeth for years (a gold crown fell out some years ago). The estimate for my dental work: $1900. The estimate for John's dental work: $2400.


Last Tuesday, I had my teeth cleaned and the cavity filled. The bone loss was caught early, and more will be prevented. I was very happy with the results! My teeth are now very clean, and I am on track with their care! However, I did decide not to have my wisdom teeth pulled. I'm 55, and I've never had a problem with them. If I get them pulled, I'll have holes and healing to deal with, and my jaw line will change as a result. I felt it was better to leave well enough alone! The final cost: $650.

Today, John had the first phase of his dental work done: one molar root canal, a core buildup, a porcelain crown, and the extraction of one tooth. The extraction appears to have been the hardest part. The doctor said he'd never had such a difficult time. Tamika, the technician, said big guys are always difficult. John's strong bone contributed to the need to extract the tooth in many pieces. The whole procedure took a little more than three and a half hours. Today's cost: $1620.

When did going to the dentist get so freaking expensive?!!?
This is Tamika, a brave young woman!

John is sleeping now, heavily, under the influence of pain medication and strong narcotics. He isn't going to be able to eat anything solid for a few days. He isn't going to feel like doing anything for a few days. That's okay. I'll pick up the slack around the farm, and make sure John has cold, ice cream-protein powder shakes to drink when he gets hungry.

You know guys ... such babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment