Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, The last of life, for which the first was made: Our times are in His hand Who saith "A whole I planned, Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!" - From "Rabbi Ben Ezra" by Robert Browning

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Dinnertime: Slow Stewed Beef and Gravy with Colcannon


It's 82 degrees, and I'm sweating like a son-of-a-gun! I've just come out of the kitchen where I fixed a meal that is probably right for the season, but completely inappropriate for this hot day. Never-the-less, we are all enjoying our Slow Stewed Beef and Gravy with Colcannon.

It hasn't even been a week since we had colcannon, but I've been craving more!

This time I added a good pinch of crushed red pepper to the stewed beef, along with a bit of diced garlic, salt, and pepper. I cooked the cabbage and onions in butter, with a scant tablespoon of bacon grease, and added salt, pepper, and chopped cooked bacon. I kept the mashed potatoes simple, with just a bit of butter since all the other components to the meal were well-seasoned. However, I added a bit of worchestershire sauce to the potatoes for a flavor boost. That's something my first husband taught me to do with mashed potatoes. It adds so much flavor! I threw a tuft of lettuce greens on top to add a bit of color to the dish.

John says I outdid myself this time... the wild beasts are coming in from the woods around us, drawn by the smell, to see what we might toss their way! LoL!

No comments:

Post a Comment