Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, The last of life, for which the first was made: Our times are in His hand Who saith "A whole I planned, Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!" - From "Rabbi Ben Ezra" by Robert Browning

Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Winter Garden is Thriving!




So, while the sun was out and shining for a few minutes the other day, I grabbed my camera and ran out to get a few pictures of our winter garden.

Everyone always says to get the plants in the ground in August, but we never seem to get them in before September, which means we don't get a fall harvest by November. Instead, the veggies winter over, and we get a great harvest in the spring. This year it will be collards, cabbage, and broccoli.


In the winter months of 2009, we had a pretty significant snow for this area. 3-4 inches, and it covered the garden completely. I went out and started knocking snow off the broccoli plants, then decided to leave it. I wanted to see if the plants were really hardy, and guess what, they were! The broccoli and all the plants came through the snow and cold and gave us an excellent harvest in the spring.

Hey, everybody, look really close at the last photo. Look through the dead tomato vines, to the other side of the fence. See that little brown spot in the middle of the picture? That's my new
puppy, Samantha. She's a bit upset because she can't get into the garden with me. Samantha is
a mini-dachshund, and I got her in early December. She is so wonderful! She blesses us all, especially my father. She has kept him laughing and entertained daily, and that's good because he doesn't have time to get sad missing my mother. That's why, in an earlier post this week, I called her medicine to my soul. She's medicine to all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment