Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, The last of life, for which the first was made: Our times are in His hand Who saith "A whole I planned, Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!" - From "Rabbi Ben Ezra" by Robert Browning

Wednesday, January 11, 2012


Well, Bacon Day is winding down. It began before sunup this morning with a few loud claps of thunder and a short downpour of rain. At the first clap of thunder every dog in the yard was at the back door howling to get it. Softy that I am, in they all came, and once calm again, were sprawled across the living carpet like dirty (wet) laundry.

Since I was up early, I decided to make a hearty breakfast for John and my Dad. I did a simple Sausage and Egg Scramble with pumpernickle toast. To a spicy ground sausage, I simply added diced onions and diced rainbow peppers. I seasoned with salt and pepper only, since my Dad is not fond of herbs.


Sorry for the quality of these pictures. The lighting is terrible! I hope to improve at indoor photography as I continue this blog.





My first attempt at scones didn't go too bad! I made Bacon Scones using a basic scone recipe from Ina Garten. I didn't press them out as thin as the directions instructed, and so I had very large scones, biscuit-like because I decided to cut them in rounds instead of wedges. I sent a half-dozen of these scones home with my sister, who said they were better than the bacon biscuits I gave her at Christmas.

The BLTs were a hit! Always so simple to prepare, and so delicious to eat! I used thick cut bacon, and piled it on. I add thinly sliced onion to my BLTs. I learned a long, long time ago that the onion really gives the sandwich a boost of flavor that takes it out of the ordinary realm of BLTs. Lots of mayo, large slices of tomato, shredded lettuce, salt and pepper, and you've got a hearty, delicious sandwich! I didn't have a chance to take pictures of a BLT. They were gone before I could pick up the camera!

I have always loved cooking. For more than 30 years I hosted every holiday family gathering, doing all of the cooking and entertaining. I was always in my element creating elaborate meals for my family to enjoy. After my mother passed away, I stopped hosting the family events, but still enjoyed cooking for my husband. In the last two years, however, my energy level has dropped significantly, and for a time, I wasn't cooking much at all. In the last few months though, I've been pushing myself to do more around the farm, including more cooking, and over the holidays I did quite a bit, ventured into baking, something I've never bothered to try before now. I find that I enjoy baking, and it's much easier than I ever thought. I hope to be doing a lot more cooking, and baking, while the weather is still cool!

Bacon Scones
adapted from Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa Scones

4 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
1 stick cold butter, diced
4 large eggs, beaten together
1 cup heavy cream
5 slices (more to taste) thick sliced bacon, diced large

Mix together the first four ingredients. Add the diced butter.
In a separate bowl, mix together the beaten eggs and heavy cream. Pour these into the flour and butter mix and stir gentle to combine.
Add the diced bacon.
Don't overmix the ingredients. The dough will be soft and wet.
Pour the dough out on a lightly floured surface and quickly form into a round.
Press out to 3/4 inch, cut, and brush with an egg wash (egg and water).
Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes (longer if the scones are large).

Instead of bacon, you might like to try adding blueberries or cranberries, raisins, or other savory items like cheese and chives, or herbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment