Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, The last of life, for which the first was made: Our times are in His hand Who saith "A whole I planned, Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!" - From "Rabbi Ben Ezra" by Robert Browning

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Is It Bacon Day? (Homer Simpson)



"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

My sister and her son are coming for a visit today. They live an hour-and-a-half away from Five Acre Farm, and they come to spend the day with us about once a month. It's their chance to spend time with our father, whose been living with me and John since my mother passed away in August, 2010. We usually spend the day catching up on things, sharing a meal, and watching a movie together before they head back home. Pretty sedate, but not too boring! In honor of their visit, I'm making Bacon Scones for breakfast, and BLTs for lunch.

My sister has become a true bacon fanatic in recent years. I've delighted in hearing her stories of discovering things like bacon chewing gum, bacon lollipops, and bacon scented air fresheners, among other (bacon-ey) things. So, for Christmas I decided to pick up the bacon challenge. I made my sister a variety of bacon food gifts.

There was the expected chocolate covered bacon, which I kicked up a bit with sea salt and/or chopped pecans. Then there were the bacon sugar cookies, which had a deliciously smokey flavor! Also, bacon cheese biscuits, and (her new favorite) candied bacon. The candied bacon was really the star of the show. Absolutely decadently delicious! And then, I covered some of it with chocolate! I'd never made any of these things before, but I found them surprising easy to accomplish.

My dad loves bacon too! Since he moved in with us a year and a half ago, I've cooked more bacon than I've consumed in my whole life! Don't get me wrong! I also love bacon, but it's the greasy mess cooking it makes that I can't stand. I absolutely won't cook bacon on the stove! Grease goes everywhere! Yuck! So, for my dad's sake, I had to find a way to cook bacon without all the grease. For a while I was cooking it in the microwave buried in thick layers of paper towels. No grease, but I ran out of paper towels too often. Now, I'm still cooking bacon in the microwave, but I'm using one of those bacon racks that lifts the bacon up out of the grease. I lay a piece of wax paper over it and the grease is pretty much contained.

I try not to serve bacon more than twice a month, but my dad keeps asking for it. When I mention the challenge to good health that bacon is, he reminds me that he's almost 85 years old and it really doesn't matter any more. I give in, and give him bacon, but I do try to limit how much John and I are eating.

What's your relationship with bacon? Have you ever tried any strange bacon-oddities? What do you think?


On a side note, I love the story behind this bacon rack. The little girl in the picture invented it. Then, a big copy cat company stole it from her. With determination and patent in-hand, the girl and her father fought to get it back, and after several years, they won! I always root for the underdog!




Candied Bacon

1 package thick sliced bacon

Brown Sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.

Lay the bacon out on the parchment covered baking sheet. It’s okay to pack the bacon close, but not overlapping.

Cover the bacon with the brown sugar, covering each piece completely (about 2 tsp per slice).

Bake for 15 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven. Turn bacon over, dragging it through the now-liquid sugar. Put the baking tray back in the oven and continue cooking for another 15 minutes, or until you are satisfied with the color of the bacon.

Bacon should be dark, almost a mahogany color.

Remove bacon from pan and let cool on a wire rack.

Bacon will stiffen as it cools.

This candied bacon can be eaten as is, covered in melted chocolate, or chopped and added to biscuit mix or cookie mix.




1 comment:

  1. This stuff is awesome! And it's not too sweet. It's almost as if the bacon and brown sugar were meant for each other, like kitchen soul mates.

    ReplyDelete