Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, The last of life, for which the first was made: Our times are in His hand Who saith "A whole I planned, Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!" - From "Rabbi Ben Ezra" by Robert Browning

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Hunting and Gathering, and Cans of Deals




Not long ago, we were at our favorite discount grocery store. They sell a lot of stuff that was overstocked in other stores, or is nearing its expiration date, dented cans, and unlabeled frozen things (half the fun is figuring out what some of them are). In other words, they always have a lot of great deals to take advantage of. 




I work on a budget, of course, so even in a discount grocery store, I have to watch the dollars and cents. That can be difficult when John is also finding great deals and bringing them to me. I have to admit, he can find some really great stuff, and I count on him to find the good deals on meat. I have to say though, sometimes John's idea of a good deal is a giant jug of salad dressing, or those huge, industrial size cans of food, like pasta sauce, whole tomatoes, sliced olives, jalapenos, and boiled peanuts. 

What is it with men and those giant cans of food? Is it something left over from their hunter-gatherer days? The bigger the "beast" the more clan members they can feed? The bigger the beast, the better they look? Face it ladies, we all know when they guys returned to the cave, our attention went straight to the guy with the antelope on his shoulder, not the guy with the rabbit hanging from his waist! So maybe these giant cans are a shadow reminder of those glorious hunting days!

Anyway, back in the grocery store, each time Hubby approaches me with one of those giant cans, his face is lit up like a child's on Christmas morning! I try to look loving and patient. I look like I'm seriously thinking it over. John, grinning expectantly,  always does an excellent job of pointing out the dollar value of each item, bless his heart! I, looking at him seriously, acknowledge his arguments as sound and worth consideration. Then, I gave him an equally sound argument on the waste, once opened, of food products we would rarely use. It's almost heartbreaking to watch him sulk back up the isle to put each can back on the shelf.

I have to admit though, from time to time, I have given in to him and purchased one or two of those industrial size cans. A large can of pasta sauce, for instance, (unlike a giant can of jalapenos) can be opened, used to make a rich, thick sauce, and then frozen in batches. At $2.00 or $3.00 a can, that makes that particular can a good deal to take advantage of.

That said, I have also said yes a few times to things I later regretted. Take the 22 lb. box of garlic buttered bread sticks John just couldn't live without! It was a real deal for $4.00 two years ago. And the approximately 18 lbs. still sitting in the freezer is still a great deal ... for those who like and can eat those nasty tasting things! 


No comments:

Post a Comment