Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, The last of life, for which the first was made: Our times are in His hand Who saith "A whole I planned, Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!" - From "Rabbi Ben Ezra" by Robert Browning

Monday, May 25, 2009

So Much For Age: The Man, The Project, The Story

My father turned 82 years old on May 16.

This week, Dad finished building his first greenhouse! It’s an 8’x12’ wood structure, with a thick (?mm) polyethylene cover.

This year he's growing a variety of tomatoes, bell peppers, and cucumbers. He might add more. Later, he plans to add a raised bed cold frame area in front of the greenhouse.

I'm so full of pride, I'm bursting! Just 3 months ago I gave Dad some information and books with greenhouse designs to look at. Dad designed his own greenhouse and built it himself (between the many rainy days) - in 3 months! He wouldn't let me or my husband or anyone help him.

My dad, Gentry Wright, has always been a "DIY" kind of guy. He didn't know that though until he did his first home project some 45 years ago, when my mother started nagging him for a picture window. After a few months of nagging, my dad finally put a sledge hammer through the wall. That was the day he learned he had the DIY gift. He put in a picture window all by himself! Following that, in various places we lived, there were rabbit pens, chicken coops, horse stalls, pig pens, fences, more fences, storage sheds, doorways, sliding glass doors, bathrooms, kitchens, decks, more decks, enclosed porches, a sunroom, a bedroom, a living room, and now, a greenhouse!

My dad, a humble, unassuming guy, enjoys staying busy, knows how to work with his hands, and loves to make my mama happy!

And my Dad grows the best tomatoes I've ever seen!

No comments:

Post a Comment