Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, The last of life, for which the first was made: Our times are in His hand Who saith "A whole I planned, Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!" - From "Rabbi Ben Ezra" by Robert Browning

Monday, May 18, 2009

When the Rains Came


Georgia has been experiencing severe drought conditions since 2006. The entire state has suffered, and restrictions have been severe. But this year, in time for summer, restrictions are lifting, and the lakes are rising - almost back to normal. The drought seems to be over.

The rains have been frequent this spring. I have been enjoying them. Many have been gentle, soaking rains that have lasted, sometimes, for days at a time. They've been good for the earth, good for the garden, and good for my aching soul. They have often been like a gentle embrace, sometimes expected, sometimes a surprise, whispering kind encouragements in my ear, assurances of better days to come. I have relished each visit of rain, and sometimes wept quietly when they ended.

Recently, the gentle rains have subsided, and sudden downpours with thunder and lightning have taken their place. Quick bursts, hard and heavy, almost angry, seem to be screaming something I cannot hear amidst the noise, and perhaps, encouraging me to hide my own screams in the noise. Not always, but sometimes, they leave me pensive when they are gone, with a small knot in my stomach.

Two nights ago, while I slept, another storm passed through. It was short and heavy. All of my plants are strong enough to take the heavy rain now, but my container garden struggled in the muscling wind that accompanied the rain. Two of my pepper plants, which are 3 feet each and fruiting, fell over. I'm grateful they did not break, but they both require support now. A medium size container of marigolds fell on one of my container tomato plants. The marigolds were smashed and may or may not recover. The tomato plant lost a branch, but at least it was a non-producing branch. I haven't found any other damage, and I am grateful there doesn't seem to be more.

Nature can often find ways to embrace us, to comfort us, and to offer us respite from the cares of the world. But just as often, it can hold us at arm's length, warning us, scolding us, or chasing us into a hiding place to cower until it has finished a hard work. The latter is more difficult to accept than the former; but both experiences have something positive to offer us if we're paying attention.

When the Rains Came
When the rain's came.
I looked to heaven.
When they washed away my dreams
I cried all night
In my heart I knew you'd be there
Cause I felt the love
and then I saw the light

Through the hard time's through the bad time's

You always came and sang to make things right
Now I don't worry about tomorrow
Cause I felt the love
and then I saw the light
From the darkness comes a doorway
When the sun's up in the blue and burning bright
I'll be dreaming about that morning
Cause I felt the love
and then I saw the light
yes I felt the love
and then I saw the light

When the rain's came.
I looked to heaven.
When they washed away my dreams
I cried all night
But,In my heart I knew you'd be there
Cause I felt the love
and then I saw the light
Yes I felt the love
and then I saw the light
Yes I felt the love
and then I saw the light

- Beth Rowley

No comments:

Post a Comment