Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, The last of life, for which the first was made: Our times are in His hand Who saith "A whole I planned, Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!" - From "Rabbi Ben Ezra" by Robert Browning

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Busy Month of May, and Samantha Is Growing Up

Dad waiting to see Samantha at the Vet's office
Well, my computer was in the shop for nearly a week, and although I have a Xoom Pad, I couldn't access my blog account on it for some reason. Grrrr! Very frustrating! I've got my laptop back now, however, and I'm ready to go!

Samantha with the Vet
In this blog, I frequently mention that we stay pretty busy here at 5~Acre Farm, not just with farm chores, but with numerous appointments and errands, and those surprises that pop up in-between.

Going home, post-surgery
Well, May has not been an exception to that rule. In just the first eight days of this month we have had no less than nine engagements; and the remainder of the month is filling up fast!

I just wish I could remember to take photographs more often so I can post them here and talk about them!


Our Schedule So Far This Month

May 1  Morning: Dad: Pre-surgery eye exam
and X-ray at VA clinic
May 2 Morning: Me: blood work at my Dr.'s office
May 3 Morning: John and Me: Job Fair in Lawrenceville
           Afternoon: John: Cardio Clinic at VA Atlanta
May 4 Morning: Samantha to vet for spaying;
           Dad: Pre-surgery eye measurements
           Afternoon: Pick up Samantha from vet
May 5 All day: Chantal and Gentry visit;
we all went out to dinner
May 7 Evening: Beekeepers' MeetingWatkinsville
May 8 Morning: Me: check up with my doctor

We missed church on Sunday due to sheer exhaustion (and I really wasn't feeling well)!
 All I can say is, it's like this every month!

More About Samantha

Tiny Samantha, 8 wks old, Dec 2011
The biggest thing so far this month was Samantha's surgery. Not a big deal, really, getting a dog spayed, but for some reason all of us were over-concerned. John and I took a long time deciding to get it done. We debated about breeding her and letting her have a litter of pups. She'd be a great mom! But in the end, to insure her best health, we opted for the surgery.

Samantha was a scant eight weeks old when I got her in December of 2011, a tiny handful of terrified fur. We all fell instantly in love with her, especially my father, and the infatuation (extravagant passion or attraction) has continued!

With Samantha, I get why people call their pets their "babies." She's a dog, but she is the closest thing I've had to a baby in a very long time. There are a hundred things I could mention that back me up on this, that prove why she is like a baby, but I promise I won't do that to you. It would be like taking out a wallet and pulling out that long, two-sided acordian of pictures that I'd expect you to "ooh" and "ahh" over as I describe each and every photo! I just can't do that to you!
January, 2012

I can only say that this little girl is spoiled rotten by all of us, bullies and bosses all the other dogs, harasses the chickens daily, and gets her way in just about everything. And why not? She continuously entertains us, makes us smile and laugh, and heals our wounded souls just by climbing into our laps and licking our faces. She sleeps with my dad almost every night, and I'm delighted that she is so much good company for him. He has had far fewer sad days since we got her.
March 2012

I have to say though, that I am always secretly delighted on those once-in-a-while late nights when Samantha trots into our bedroom, jumps up on the bed, licks me in the face to say hello, and then settles herself down between John and me. It is a blessed comfort to one (me) who doesn't think she needs comforting that often.

Samantha is smart, and is different with each of us. She plays quietly and naps a lot with my Dad, comes to me for slightly rougher play and comforting, and leaves John alone until he comes to her. Then she rolls over in that "you're the man (alpha)" kind of way that acknowledges John's leadership position, licks him on the nose when he gets close enough, and runs off when he looks away.

Outside, Samantha does harass the other dogs, as I mentioned.  They didn't like her at first, which puzzled me. They've always been open and accepting when new dogs came. Then I realized, they just didn't know what to do with her! She was so tiny, so full of energy, and so zipping around like a bullet! Samantha plays rough, runs hard with the big dogs when they take off, and she never acknowledges that she is low dog on the totem pole. While all the other dogs are sitting around panting, it's Samantha helps herd and re-pen stray chickens. When she goes out each morning, the chicken pen is the first place she heads to, announcing her arrival and her authority!


Well, back to this busy month! Catch you all later!









No comments:

Post a Comment